Monday 20 April 2020

Crystal lab


Mum came home from work on Saturday with a crystal lab kit for me to do she got it from the shop.
It has three types of crystals to make it in.
The video is Mum tipping the crystal solution into the glow in the dark one first. I took the video while she did it.

It will take 7 days for the crystals to form on the base and then we can rinse them in water after that once they have charged in light they will glow in the dark I can not wait for that.
Waiting for them to form is no fun It takes ages.

 This is the first step.
I am mixing the crystal solution here in a bowl with hot water.
I used gloves in case i got the water on my hand.

This is the glow in the dark base and the tree that will turn into a crystal snow tree.






This is the container filled with the crystal solution

 This container may not work. I did not read the instructions. It was not until after I put the solution mix into the container that Mum looked at it and seen it was wrong.
It will be very interesting to see what happens with this one and if it grows any crystals in 7 days.
The water is blue and we can not see any growing in it.
These are called aquamarine crystals if they grow.

This is the crystal snow tree 
We used the last of the crystal mixture from the bowl and put the tree into this dish.
The paper tree will soak the water mixture and create the crystals

Here are the three different types of crystals I am growing
  



This is where we have put the crystals to grow.
They need a warm place.
We have put them next to the fire.



This is the snow tree after being left over night

The crystals feel soft at the moment.
 I have touched the ones in the tray.
Mum said if I leave them alone they will get harder and stay on the paper tree.

I can see the crystals forming on the base in this photo.
I took this photo 24 hours after I mixed it together

4 comments:

  1. Hi Toby
    Gosh you were lucky that your mum bought the crystal kit home. It turned you into a real scientist! You would have had a very busy afternoon making all those crystals! What do you think your favourite crystal will be? What one will you want to grow the quickest? I would love to see the glow in the dark one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing crystals is so much fun Toby. I saw mum at the shop on Saturday too. Did the crystal tree grow the fastest? I wonder if there are other ways to grow crystals at home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Toby...or should I be calling you "The Mad Scientist'...just kidding. I think you have done an awesome job and especially knowing that you didnt read the instruction properly...I do this often!. The crystal tree looks really interesting..is it a glow in the dark one? When I was little, which was a very long time ago, I used to grow coloured crystals on a lump of coal. I'm really looking foward to seeing more photos!..I bet mum has had just as much fun as you? Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Toby. You have written a great explanation for just what you did with your crystals. I could easily follow your instructions so that I could do the same experiment. It will seem like a long wait for seven days to pass but I can't wait to read about what happens then!
    Did you know Mum was bringing the crystal kit home? I wonder what you thought when you first saw it. What else have you learnt about how crystals grow now?
    Mrs Phelps

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.