Friday 27 August 2021

science experiment

 

flower capillary action


On Wednesday Mum and I were chatting about daffodil day coming up and she said about an experiment that we could do with some of the flowers in the garden. When it stopped raining we went out and picked some for a vase. 







Mum said I needed to get 2 other glasses so we could put some in each. when we had done that I put some food colouring into the water. 

We talked about how flowers need water and how they get the water from the ground or in a vase. This is called capillary action. In flowers, there are thin tubes in the stems and the water goes up these to the flowers. When we put the flowers into the coloured water this is going to be sucked up.






this is a photo of the daffidol up close before we added some to the coloured water

After tea I had a look at the flowers. I noticed that the blue ones were really sucking the water up and you could see the tiny tubes in them turning blue already. The red ones not so much. We decided to add more colouring to the water to see if it made any difference. 

                         

These photo's I took before I went to bed. You can really see the blue coming through.

The photo's below are the next morning 




 
this is all the flowers together I like how you can deffinalty see the different colours and the veins in the petals.

I took this photo before bed on the second night after swapping one flower over to the other coloured water. this is the red flower to the blue coloured water and you can really see the different colours in the petals



                   

this was a fun experiment to do 






2 comments:

  1. Hi Toby, gosh this is a brilliant post! So informative and very interesting to read. All the photos supported your experiment awesomely. I think that is has inspired me to try this with some white carnations or roses. Great job Toby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Toby, you truely are a mad scientist😂, excellt work...you have explained it really well with lots of visuals. I just love the last photos and how you can see the colours in the veins. Have you tried to draw this one?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.